Thursday August 24 to Wednesday August 30, 2017
followed by the ARJ CONFERENCE Wednesday August 30, 2017 to Friday September 1, 2017
At the University of Hildesheim, Northern Germany
What is it about?
The ARJ ACADEMY will be organized in a one-week training and discourse format. 30 – 40 participants will join international experts and lecturers. The ARJ ACADEMY will be a mixture of workshops, discussions, teamwork in groups, presentations, individual consultancy, and expert insights. All participants in the ARJ ACADEMY will be young professionals in cultural policy-related work, arts or cultural management practice, free expression, human rights work or related academic areas. There is a keen desire to bring together participants from a wide variety of world regions and to create a peer-to-peer learning ambiance based on dialogue and exchange. Parallel to group oriented formats, attention will be given to individual learning tasks of each participant. Participation in the ARJ ACADEMY enables attendees to apply to initiate regional ARJ LABORATORIES with the support of the ARJ PROGRAM.
- Fundamentals of freedom of expression within human rights
- Understanding freedom and threat: censorship and policy structures
- Advocacy & campaigning, funding & networking
- Cultural policy & arts management
- Working with artists: needs, protection, visas, relocation
- Funding & networking: building worldwide networks in relation to freedom of expression and artistic freedom
Who is eligible?
- Young professionals working within artists at risk residencies, arts and cultural project managers, artists, lawyers, jurists or academics
- Working experience in a field related to human rights, cultural rights, cultural policy, freedom of expression and artistic freedom, artist mobility, arts or social development
- Good level of English
- Individuals of all nationalities